So it’s Super Bowl Sunday and in case you are like me, you may not have prepared anything to bring to your buddy’s house. I can definitely be a procrastinator and tend to leaves things to the last minute. Not my finest quality. However, if you do share the same quality, then this recipe is perfect for you.
Right now the grocery store is on its last limb of chicken wings. Who knows if they even have any left? What are you going to do? Ahhh…there’s the ground chicken breast calling your name. Pick me up, buy me and make something delicious! Solution!
These Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with Blue Cheese have everything single element of a fried buffalo chicken wing except they are healthier, there are no bones to be gnawing on and they are guilt-free. Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest excuse to eat your face off but you don’t have to succumb to the pressure of nachos and buffalo chicken wings. You can make these dishes in a “lighter” fashion so you can still enjoy them and not feel like total crap afterwards.
The key to making lighter or healthier food is to pack it with flavor so you don’t feel like you are depriving yourself. The Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are mixed with scallions, garlic powder, hot sauce and actual chunks of blue cheese inside the mixture. Then they are glazed on the outside with more hot sauce (I prefer to use a combination of Cholula and Crystal’s but you can use whatever hot sauces or buffalo sauce you prefer) to create a really spicy bite. I make a super rich and flavorful blue cheese sauce with non-fat Greek yogurt, low-fat sour cream and mayo, crumbled blue cheese, white vinegar, scallions, tons of black pepper and a little bit of freshly chopped dill. I know the fresh dill is not traditional and it’s more in line with a “Ranch” dressing but it’s a nice little addition to the sauce.
Besides being a healthier solution, the Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with Blue Cheese are easy to eat so you don’t have to feel like caveman with a face smothered in hot sauce and your fingers covered in grease. Not that there’s anything wrong with that every once in a while.
- ½ cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese, separated
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly chopped dill
- 1# ground chicken breast
- ½ tsp granulated garlic powder
- ¼ + 2 tbsp cup Crystal hot sauce, separated
- 3 tbsp Cholula hot sauce, separated
- ½ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine Greek yogurt, low-fat sour cream, light mayonnaise, ½ cup of crumbled blue cheese, 2 tbsp of sliced scallions, white wine vinegar and chopped dill in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I would suggest to go heavy on the black pepper.)Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground chicken breast, remaining sliced scallions, 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese, granulated garlic powder, 2 tbsp Crystal hot sauce, 1 tbsp Cholula hot sauce, whole wheat panko breadcrumbs and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix ground chicken mixture until everything is combined thoroughly.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a tablespoon measure, portion the meatballs on the baking sheet.
- Moisten your hand with cold water and roll the meatballs in between your palms so they become round and smooth.
- Place in the oven and bake them for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking the oven, combine the remaining Crystal hot sauce and Cholula in a small saucepan. Heat the hot sauces until they are warm and slightly thickened.
- Add one tablespoon of butter and stir to combine. Place the hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Once the meatballs are cooked through toss them in the bowl with the hot sauces. Make sure each meatball is glazed in hot sauce.
- Serve the meatballs with toothpicks and the blue cheese sauce.