I’m going to let you all in on a little secret. I have a major obsession with tacos. I love them.
Actually love is an understatement. I cannot go more than a few days without having some form of a taco. Breakfast, lunch, dinner…you can always fit a taco in.
The number one reason I love tacos is because they are frickin’ delicious. I just crave them. The other reasons to love tacos are they are quick, versatile and can be very healthy. This is a quick and easy recipe with some of my favorite garnishes.
For my chipotle chicken tacos I use pre-cooked chicken breast. I will admit I usually hate buying pre-cooked meat or fish. It just feels wrong. Why would I buy something that has been cooked by a complete stranger when I know I can make it myself? Well…between working, going to the gym, running errands, volunteering, making dinner, going out for drinks…you need a little help. And who am I kidding? Have you seen those golden brown delicious chickens at Whole Foods spinning away on the rotisserie? How can you not buy one?
So yes, I like to buy the rotisserie chickens from Whole Foods. Guilty as charged.
In reality, this is a simple recipe. It should only take 10 minutes total. 10 minutes!!
I like to sauté scallions and green bell peppers together as a quick flavor base.
Next comes the chipotles en adobo. You know when you buy a can of chipotles and the recipe you follow says you only need 1 tbsp; what do you do with the rest? I usually throw my mine in a plastic bag and toss it in the freezer. That way I always have it on hand but it doesn’t go bad. So when I need some chipotles I literally can just slice some off the block that I keep in the freezer.
The bell peppers, scallions, chipotles and shredded chicken only need to re-heat for about 5 minutes. I add some water to the mix to keep the chicken moist. Homemade chicken stock would be an even better option.
That’s it people. That’s the chipotle chicken filling for your tacos. I told you it was easy.
Okay one more tangent. I love white corn tortillas. I know most people totally rock out the flour tortillas and I don’t blame them. They are equally fantastic. But there is something really special about the smell of white corn tortillas charring on an open flame. You just have to cook them very lightly but it makes all the difference in the world. (Did I mention white corn tortillas are a healthier option than flour? Also corn tortillas are gluten-free!)
Next garnish your tacos with your favorite toppings. It can be anything you think of. These are finished simply with cilantro, scallions, tomatoes, avocados and non-fat greek yogurt. Yes, that’s right…greek yogurt.
I know this is my first taco recipe on FML but I can promise you it’s not the last. I really do love tacos.
- ½ tbsp grapeseed oil
- ½ cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green separated
- 3 tbsp chipotle en adobo
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 12 oz chicken breast, shredded
- ¼ cilantro, chopped
- 8 white corn tortillas, lightly charred or steamed
- 4 oz avocado, sliced
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup non-fat greek yogurt
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add grapeseed oil.
- Next add green bell peppers and the white part of the scallions in the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Next add the chipotles and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the shredded chicken breast and simmer for 5 minutes until warm through. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro.
- Next char the white corn tortillas on an open flame. If you don't have a gas stove you can char them on a grill or broil them in an oven.
- Next fill your tortilla with about ¼ cup of chicken filling. Top with ½ oz of avocado, diced tomatoes cilantro and ½ tbsp of greek yogurt.