We all have those weekends where we go a little overboard. Too many restaurants, football games, late night munchies. It’s okay. It happens. Most importantly I hope you had fun doing it all!
After a crazy weekend of overindulgence I like to kick off my Monday morning on a healthy foot. If I make sure the very first meal of my workweek is super healthy I am more likely to continue to make healthy decisions the rest of the week. So making a big batch of Coconut Chia Pudding will get the momentum going that you’ll need for a fresh start.
I highly recommend this recipe for a few reasons:
1) There are very few ingredients
2) It only takes minutes to prepare
3) You can make a large batch and enjoy it all week
4) It’s simply delicious
So what’s the deal with chia seeds? Some regard it as a “superfood” because it is very low in calories but high in fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and calcium. Some say it will increase your energy and stamina. In addition, there are claims that it will decrease your appetite because chia seeds absorb 12 times the amount of their weight and literally will expand, therefore making you feel fuller.
Either way, they are yummy and good for you.
I decided to take these seeds on a trip to the Caribbean. This recipe incorporates coconut in three ways: toasted coconut flakes, coconut milk and coconut extract. You could definitely do a vegan version of this recipe and use all coconut milk and no dairy.
You could also garnish the chia pudding with lots of different toppings. I opted for the ole faithful, the humble and my personal favorite banana.
My last tip is to pack it up in a cute little mason jar and bring it to your job. People will think you’re super health conscious, that you subscribe to Clean Eating magazine and do yoga every day. Best part is that making Coconut Chia Pudding is way less work!
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes, unsweetened
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- 3 tbsp canned coconut milk
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp Marcona almonds
- First toast the coconut flakes in a small saute pan over medium heat
- Combine chia seeds, vanilla extract, coconut extract, coconut milk, skim milk and greek yogurt.
- If possible, let the pudding combine overnight for all the flavors to develop and the mixture to become thick.
- Garnish the pudding with toasted coconut flakes and other toppings you prefer